Sunday, April 13, 2008

Paradise Lost - In Requiem

Here's another one of those bands thats been around forever that I've never really listened to. I vaguely remember enjoying them when I saw them live many years ago when they opened for Opeth. Although I also remember that the audience did not like them, for the most part. I'm sure there's some rich history about Paradise Lost and how they've evolved throughout the years, but I don't know it.

In Requiem is a very typical goth metal release. Paradise Lost has an incredibly good singer though, whereas many goth metal bands have annoying male vocals that drone continually. I'm listening to this for the first time as I write this, as I do most of these reviews, and I haven't decided whether or not I like it. As I said, I really like the vocals, and there's some really good riffs and melodies, but none of the songs are really jumping out as a "must listen to again" song. I suppose I like the album, but will I ever listen to it again? Probably not. However, I may look into tasting some more Paradise Lost in the future.

6/10

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

PL is an amazing band... they weren't always like this as their first album (lost paradise) was pure death/doom, the second (gothic) was gothic death... by the 3rd (shades of god), 4th (icon) & 5th (draconian paradise - my personal favorite) albums they evolved into a gothic/rock/metal hybrid. by the sixth album (one second), all metal had disappeared.

they continued on this path for the next few albums and for their last 2 (paradise lost & requiem), they started bringing back some heavier sounds, but not really going back to metal.

the old fans only like the first 2, but i feel they're kind of sophomoric at this point (especially in comparison to the stunning later output).

if you really want the back catalogue, i can give you an MP3 disc of everything they've ever released (yep, i got it all!).

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home