Thursday, March 20, 2008

Týr - Ragnarok

Ok, so you get 1 guess as to what genre of metal this falls under. With song titles such as "The Hammer of Thor," "The Ride To Hel," and Grimur a Midalnesi," I kind of knew what to expect going into this. I don't know how long these guys have been going at it, this is my first listen to anything by Tyr. (I'm not making that accent every time I type their name.) If you take a browse on their website, you'll find out that this band is the ONLY Faroese folk metal band. I didn't even know of the existence of these Faroe Island, but then again, I'm a dumb American.

Anyway, on to the music...

The acoustic song that opens this album, aptly titled "The Beginning" is a great catchy track that gave me great hopes for what I was about to hear. Unfortunately, the album is rather hit and miss. A couple of the tracks are pagan-riffic, such as "Brother's Bane" and "Torsteins Kvaedi" The rest of it is all very plain. The singer, who does all clean vocals on this album, definitely has talent and the tracks I enjoyed he sang some memorable lines, even if I couldn't understand the language. Many of the main tracks on this are just boring riff and sing-a-long affairs that never reach any sort of climactic peak. The songs are just there, if that makes any sense.

One of the big downfalls of this album is that practically every other song is a minute-long instrumental, or more annoying folkish noise, interlude which really slows down the album. Its not incredibly fast to begin with, but after the 4th or 5th such break, these interludes quickly get old. And with the album clocking in at an hour and seven minutes, some stuff needs to be trimmed. The interludes need to go, and many of the songs need to be shortened. All the actual songs on this album are 5-6 minutes, which isn't necessarily a lengthy song, but a song must keep the listener interested for the entire length.

The best part of this album was reading up on the Faroe Islands. It's a province of Denmark between its fatherland and Iceland. Looks like it would be an interesting place to visit.

4/10 I think this came off of the bottom of Thor's boot.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home