Thursday, April 03, 2008

Anubis - Heroine

I originally checked out this album because of another band, called Anubis Rising, a killer band from LA, that never really seemed to take off though. They just released a bunch of demos and such. Unfortunately, Anubis is very different than Anubis Rising. Whereas Anubis Rising was good, Anubis is bad...

OK fine, I'll be more thorough than that. Anubis Rising played some more blackened Opeth inspired music, long opuses with lots of changes, but with a raspy black metal sound to it all. Anubis is goth metal, very keys-laden and annoying male vocals goth metal. And this album is 67 minutes... There's no way I'm going to make it through this whole thing.

The female's voice in Anubis is actually not too bad, nothing awe-inspiring, but decent. However, there's nothing exciting at all about the music underneath her voice. There's some very uninspiring keys and electronic noise laying around on this, and the guitars and drums certainly never jump out from the mix. And to top it all off, the male singer is probably about the most bland singer I've heard in a long, long time. I've never heard anything recent about this band, this album was released in 2001, so I doubt they are still around. And yes, I am too lazy right now to actually check that statement, because I don't really care.

I think I'll go listen to all this stuff on Anubis Rising's myspace page.

3/10 If we got rid of the male vocals, it might score a 5.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home